Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Back To School or Starting New School Advice

 
This morning I was searching Blog Frog for some tools in starting my blog and I came upon a fellow blogger (http://www.believingboldly.com/) who was posting the question:
I have a 3 year old starting K3 and I don't know where to begin - he has been with me since birth - no daycare - no mom's day out! So... what are your tips for making going back to school seamless!?  And how do you help ease the anxiety!


I remember feeling this anxiety too.  Letting them go is very very difficult!  Watching some of them cry is hard.  I had the opposite problem...while all the other kids were crying, Madeleine (now 7) went in and never looked back.  Here I was in tears because she wasn't.  It past quickly a few weeks later when some kids were still crying, holding legs and door jams.  Trust me every child is different and mine are no exception! 


Talking about school and all the types of things that we would all look forward to for a few weeks prior is essential in getting back into the grove.  Doing a few pages a week from an age appropriate math and reading work book keeps them reminded that education is forever.  Sleep is another thing that will come back to haunt you.  If you let the earlier bedtime go to the waste side, get back in the groove a few weeks before it all begins again.

The purchase of a new backpack or lunch box can be a fun event, especially if it is their first time at school.  You will be holding it more than them but trust me you and they need one.  All the arts and crafts and several layers of panic sweaters, gloves, hats and possible clothing changes will be stored nicely.

My favorite thing I did for them was books.  I found several children's books on the subject of "Going Back or starting school".  One absolute favorite, was a Pop Up Book, Called Corduroy goes to school.

http://www.amazon.com/Corduroy-Goes-School-Lift-Flap/dp/0670035149


The kids still love it and this year will be no exception.  It is something you can look fondly back at and even pass to them for their children.  There is something about uncovering all the wonderful surprises and when you associate that with the wonder of preschool or a new classroom or teacher...IT"S A WINNER!

No comments:

Post a Comment